Location: Granadilla and San Carlos, Costa Rica
GAP Product Owners are a crucial position on Agile SCRUM teams, and play a key role in the success of GAP projects. The Product Owner works closely with the Product Management team, and directly with customers, to understand the market needs. They are responsible for conveying the market needs to the SCRUM team in the form of user stories. The Product Owner is also responsible for prioritizing user stories to create a backlog based on business value and serving as the point person for the developers and QA members on the SCRUM team. The Product Owner participates in standard SCRUM ceremonies including stand-ups, backlog grooming, and sprint planning. The Product Owner is responsible for signing off on features to ensure they meet the agreed-upon acceptance criteria and overall market need.
- Ensures that the Product Backlog is constantly prioritized to secure delivery of maximum business value.
- Becomes a subject matter expert in the relevant product domains. Develops an understanding of the target market and user base and uses this to guide product decisions.
- Engages with key customer contacts and with Strategic Product Managers as required to ensure that all relevant inputs to the Product Backlog have been collected and prioritized.
- Defines and maintains a roadmap
- Works in relevant structures (e.g. Scrum of Scrums) to manage dependencies and set priorities across multiple teams and Backlog items and to maintain alignment to the Release Product vision and roadmap.
- Provides a vision for the product
- Communicates the project vision to the team
- Motivates the team to subscribe to the product vision
- Communicates about the project within the organization (e.g. demo attendance and invites, forecasting, management reporting, sponsor liaison)
- Can change the course of the project at the beginning of any Sprint
- Terminates a Sprint if it is determined that a drastic change in direction is required
- Develops epics and user stories for all new functionality, presents user stories to product teams, and ensures new functionality meets the acceptance criteria.
- Assigns prioritized items (User Stories) from the Product Backlog to the Agile Teams, participates in Team Planning meetings, and is available to provide advice, clarification, and guidance during the execution of each Sprint.
- Assists the development team with release planning, functional research, and testing of releases.
- Inspects, accepts, or rejects completed work from the development Sprint
- Define release and sprint goals
- Continuously answer questions to add detail to requirements
- Accept/reject developed user stories at the end of the sprint (or during the sprint)
Desired Skills and experience
The ideal candidate welcomes solving problems with a positive attitude, teamwork, and innovation. Has very strong customer and business understanding, including the driving forces in software development and own-domain product evolution. Must have experience in a role with strong requirements elicitation (business analyst, technical product manager, consultant, etc.), and proven writing skills including the ability to write concisely and clearly for different audiences. This person possesses strong coaching skills and the ability to motivate teams and individuals around a common vision of product development excellence.
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent experience
- 2+ years of relevant software product management, product owner, or business analysis experience in an agile environment
- Experience in Software industry and good understanding of Software Development and Product Life Cycle, including customer requirements gathering, software design and development, testing including unit, functional, systems and integration implementation/delivery and maintenance
- Skilled at meeting facilitation and presentation
- Experience working with Scrum and Product Owner role or equivalent Agile Development Process-Knowledge of how different systems interact, including potential problems and difficulties that may occur
- Flexibility to partner with and negotiate with various individuals across teams at different levels, both business people and technical people
- Strong time management skills and project management skills
- Must thrive in a fast-paced, time-compressed, and dynamic environment
- Experience Story Mapping and Road Maps
- Skilled at writing acceptance criteria
- Excellent communications skills: written, verbal, group presentations at the team level
- Ability to use wireframes to prototype new functionality
- Scrum Product Owner certification (CSPO)
- Prior experience as a Product Owner